SIG Features a look at Northern Virginia's Top Ranking High Schools
by Bryan Zupan
on Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 at 4:14pm.
Over the years working in the Washington DC area Real Estate, I have worked with a range of clients wants and needs. All clients start with few key points; budgets, location, quality, and size or amount of space. However, in addition to the core list there are factors that play into the decision making process. Some of these factors are employent opportunities, education, location to family and friends, lifestyle, culture, transporation, commute, dining, nightlife, and retail to name a few.
Of this list there is one key element for clients with school aged children. That element is finding the right school system for your children. The additional pressure of making the right choice for your child's education can create uncertain on all levels. The National Realtor's Association has provided data that choosing a home based on the quality of a school and the distance to schools are some of the most influential factors when making a decision.
There is one important factor that may ease concerns, which is the area around Washinghton DC has some of The Nations Top Ranked Schools in the country. With the help of an experienced Real Estate Agent, it is possible to find the perfect home with the best school for your needs.
SIG would like to help you work through the process and provide support while including education on your list of priorities. If you would like more information on schools in the area or help organizing a plan for your move, please contact us!
I am going to highlight the Public Schools in Northern Virginia with the rankings provided by US News. Over the next few months we will look to highlight schools in Maryland and DC, as well.
Virginia is home to 113 schools ranked in 2016 among the U.S. News Best High Schools. Of these schools you will find a great deal of them in the Northern Virginia area. Northern Virginia is not only home to some of the top rated schools in the state, but in the nation as well.
Northern Virginia is home to 7 of the top 10 schools in the state.
•Thomas Jefferson High School | Fairfax County: #1 in VA and #5 in the Nation. This is a state chartered magnet school, located in Alexandria, that focuses on Science and Technology with more than 10 research labs on site.
• McLean High School | Fairfax County: #2 in VA and #108 in the Nation. MHS has a high participation rate for the Advanced Placement program.
• Madison High School | Fairfax County: #3 in VA and #151 in the Nation. Madison High, located in Vienna, boasts a high participation rate for the Advancement Placement program.
• George Mason High School | Falls Church City: #4 in VA and #160 in the Nation. George Mason HS strives to have a great deal of parent involvement. It is a school that is very culturally diverse and offers an International Baccalaureate program and electives such as Mandarin Chinese and personal finance. Students here can also earn a Standard Diploma, Standard Technical Diploma, Advanced Studies Diploma, and Advanced Technical Diploma.
• Oakton High School | Fairfax County: #5 in VA and #162 in the Nation. OHS has a high participation rate in the AP Program.
• Langley High School | Fairfax County: #6 in VA and #190 in the Nation. Langley High provides students with the AP Program and is one of the only two schools in Fairfax County that offers Russian courses.
• Woodson High School | Fairfax County: #7 in VA and #200 in the Nation. WHS is located in Fairfax and has a high participation rate in the AP Program.
• Marshall High School | Fairfax County: #11 in VA and #343 in the Nation. It is a located in Falls Church. Students here have the opportunity to take International Baccalaureate courses.
• Herndon High School | Fairfax County: #12 in VAand #361 in the Nation. HHS has a high participation in the AP Program.
• Yorktown High School | Arlington County: #13 in VA and #363 in the Nation. YHS is located in Arlington and offers AP courses and exams.
• Centreville High School | Fairfax County: #14 in VA and #365 in the Nation. AP coursework and exams are offered to students.
• Lake Braddock Secondary | Fairfax County: #15 in VA and #380 in the Nation. LBS is located in Burke and offers AP course work.
• West Springfield High | Fairfax County: #16 in VA and #408 in the Nation. The AP Program is offered at WSH.
• Washington Lee High | Arlington County: #17 in VA and #430 in the Nation. WLHS is located in Arlington and offers AP courses and exams.
• Robinson Secondary | Fairfax County: #18 in VA and #434 in the Nation. RS is located in Fairfax and students are able to take International Baccalaureate courses and exams.
• Dominion High School | Loudoun County: #19 in VA and #499 in the Nation. DHS is located in Sterling and offers AP courses and exams.
• Fairfax High School | Fairfax County: #20 in VA and #550 in the Nation. Courses and exams from the AP Program are offered